You are currently on Oxford Dictionaries Online, which is a free site offering a comprehensive current English dictionary, grammar guidance, puzzles and games, and a language blog; as well as up-to-date bilingual dictionaries in French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
We also have a premium site, Oxford Dictionaries Pro, which features smart-linked dictionaries and thesauruses, audio pronunciations, example sentences, advanced search functionality, and specialist language resources for writers and editors.
Read on to discover more about this innovative current English language resource …
Oxford Dictionaries Pro
'Oxford has established the template upon which future online dictionaries will be compared… Highly recommended for all libraries, writers and word lovers.’
- A–Z dictionary wordwheel for easy browsing
- Advanced search to explore the dictionary by meaning, people and places, subject, region, usage, and word class
- Audio pronunciations in both British English and US English
- 1.9 million extra example sentences showing words as they are really used in today’s English – all smart-linked and fully searchable
- Tooltips with hover-over quick definitions for almost any word on the page
- Find synonyms for the specific sense of a word in the dictionary
- Link to dictionary definitions from any word in the thesaurus
- Quick search thesaurus
- Searchable complete versions of New Hart’s Rules, Pocket Fowler’s Modern English Usage, and Garner’s Modern American Usage
- Specialist dictionaries for writers and editors include New Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors, and Garner’s Dictionary of Legal Usage
- Link directly from dictionary headwords to relevant chapters or entries in the For writers and editors section
- Comprehensive Writing skills including grammar and punctuation where good writing starts, style and usage to write effectively and create the right impression, and quick spelling tips
- Use the Vocabulary builder to enrich creative writing
Updated four times a year with the most current meanings and the latest new words.
Essential for writers, copyeditors, business professionals, linguists, academics, teachers, students, non-native speakers, and puzzle enthusiasts.