A Fiendishly Difficult Word Game
These puzzles are like ‘Only Connect’ but they involve putting one word inside another word to make a third word. As with Russian dolls, you find one doll inside another doll.
Example: Put the woman into a young fox or lion to make an angel.
Answer: Put the word her inside the word cub and you get c-her-ub, that is cherub.
1. Put an insect into tarts to make underwear.
2. Put a word for ‘always’ inside an animal to get excited.
3. Put a word for ‘representing’ inside an insect to make a word meaning ‘earlier’.
4. Put a word for ‘exists’ into your artistic inspiration to make a word meaning ‘ill-treat’.
5. Put the sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet inside the residue of burning to make a word meaning ‘like a monkey’.
6. Put a condiment inside a word for ‘each’ to make a collection of psalms.
7. Put a heavenly being into a game to make a word for eternal.
8. Put a word meaning ‘moved quickly’ inside a French house to make a tough stone.
9. Put a word for ‘on’ inside a dog to make a line on a map.
10. Put human males into a doctrine to make a block of flats.
11. Put a silicate mineral inside a word for ‘talented’ to make a word meaning ‘friendly’.
12. Put ‘to rise’ into a peel to make gliding on a wide parachute.
13. Put a large vase into a gratuity to make a vegetable.
14. Put a conjunction inside a male admirer to make a headband.
15. Put a negative inside a number to make a projecting piece of wood.
16. Put a word meaning ‘insert’ into access to make artistry.
17. Put a word meaning ‘perform’ into miraculous food to get the Virgin Mary.
18. Put a song inside a fishy man to make a ship conveying merchandise.
19. Put a coarse word into chronic alcoholism to make dry periods.
20. Put a word for vomit into an evangelist to make one sign of pregnancy.
See the Answers
Return to Oxford Word Challenge home page