1. dust (the aircraft dusted the fields; Have you dusted this room?).
2. blessed (Blessed are the meek; I’m blessed if I will!).
3. public (public building; public school).
4. bad (That was a bad move; He’s a real bad singer).
5. trim (She trimmed the dress with lace; Trim the pastry round the edge).
6. draw (curtains).
7. trip (She tripped across the fields; He tripped over the carpet).
8. cleave (‘Shall a man cleave unto his wife?’ Genesis 2; You can cleave the log in two with an axe).
9. oversight (She has the oversight of the works; My failure to check the meter was simply an oversight).
10. left (There is one cake left; She has just left).
11. fast (a fast horse runs; a fast colour does not run).
12. mad or wild.
13. think better of (I think better of him after he saved the cat; I have thought better of telling my boss he’s a fool).
14. sanction (The king gave his sanction; They imposed sanctions on the warring parties).
15. industrial action.
16. no question (There is no question that he is stupid; There’s no question of my giving in).
17. quantum leap (In physics, this name means a sudden change in an atom or molecule; in general use it means a huge change).
18. wind up (The company was wound up; The clock started when I wound it up).
Back to the questions
Challenge yourself with our other Slightly Harder Games