English translation of mettre
- 1 to put; to put in [heating, shower]; to put up [curtains, shelves] je mets les enfants à la crèche = I send the children to a creche mets ton écharpe = put your scarf on mettre le linge à sécher = to put the washing out to dry faire mettre le téléphone = to have a telephone put in Definition of put in the British & World English dictionary Definition of put in the US English dictionary Translate put | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
- 5 to put up [sign] qu'est-ce que je dois mettre? = what shall I put? je t'ai mis un mot = I've left you a note mettre en musique = to set to music mettre en anglais = to put into English Definition of put up in the British & World English dictionary Definition of put up in the US English dictionary Translate put up | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
- 6y mettre du sien = to put oneself into it combien pouvez-vous mettre? = how much can you afford? elle a mis une heure = it took her an hour (pour faire to do)
C. v refl (+ v être) (se mettre)
- 1se mettre devant la fenêtre = to stand in front of the window se mettre au lit = to go to bed se mettre debout = to stand up où est-ce que ça se met? = where does this go?
- 4se mettre à l'anglais = to take up English il va se mettre à pleuvoir = it's going to start raining